The town of Sturgis is located in Indiana and allows anyone who wants to build a tiny house there to do so for free! They also offer some services and materials at low cost if you need help building your tiny house.
A tiny house can be built anywhere in the state of Indiana with no permit needed as long as it is on wheels or less than 400 square feet in size.
If you want to live permanently in your tiny house, you will need to get a zoning permit and make sure it complies with all local codes, but this is generally easy enough.
You can also use an RV type trailer which would require a special permit which would be issued by the county or city.
You are allowed to build on private property with no permit, but you must be at least 150 feet from any structure used for commercial purposes.
You can also live in your tiny house on private property in Indiana as long as it is located more than 100 feet from the property line and does not have electricity or plumbing.
Other requirements you need to fulfill in order to build a tiny house in Indiana:
1) You must be 18 years old or older to live in a tiny house.
2) You must register your tiny house with the county health department and obtain an occupancy permit within 60 days of completing construction.
3) The county health department may inspect your tiny house at any time if they suspect that it is not being maintained properly. If you fail to pass inspection, you will be given 90 days to correct the problems before you will be required to move it out of the county.
4) You cannot build a tiny house within 100 feet of a property line, including the back and side yards.
5) You cannot have electricity or plumbing in your tiny house.
6) Your tiny house must be moved at least once every 6 months.
7) You must keep your tiny house on private property.
8) The county may also require you to get an occupancy permit if you want to live permanently in your tiny house on wheels.
9) Your tiny house cannot be larger than 400 square feet if it is on wheels or less than 400 square feet if it is not on wheels.
10) Your tiny house cannot be larger than 12 feet wide by 35 feet long if it is on wheels or less than 12 feet wide by 35 feet long if it is not on wheels.
If you are interested in building a tiny house in Indiana, it is definitely possible to do so. As long as you know what you are doing and follow the rules, you should be able to build your own tiny house in Indiana without any problems.