Washington State is a great place to build a tiny house. Washington has everything you need to make your small house dreams come true, from the coast to the Cascade Mountains.
What is a Tiny House?
Tiny houses are becoming more popular as people realize they downsize their homes to save money and live simpler lives. These houses typically have a smaller footprint, using less energy and requiring less maintenance than traditional homes.
The typical tiny house is 400-600 square feet or less with a loft for sleeping, and some are even smaller than that.
We can find tiny houses in various locations throughout the United States and Canada. They are prevalent in urban areas where land costs are high, such as New York City and Seattle.
Some of the most common places to find tiny houses include:
- Wooded areas near water, mountain towns, and abandoned buildings.
- Ski resorts, beaches, cabins/chalets/cabin sites, lakeshores, and cities.
Why Build a Tiny House?
There are many reasons people choose to build a tiny house, such as
- They want to downsize their home;
- They want a simpler life;
- They don’t like their current home;
- They need less space;
- They don’t like or don’t want their neighbors;
- They have enough money to buy land and build a larger house;
- They want to learn about living off-grid (meaning no electricity or water service);
- There is not enough space for another structure on their property;
- There is not enough space for a garage or shed;
- They want to get out of debt;
- They want to build a business from their home;
- They are on a tight budget;
- They want to learn how to create their own home and save money;
- They want to reduce the impact of their home on the environment;
- They don’t have the tools, materials, or time to build a larger home themselves.
Where To Build A Tiny House?
Someone can build tiny houses anywhere they like, but certain areas are more popular than others.
For example, some people prefer wooded areas near water, others prefer urban regions (Washington, for example), and others like mountain towns or cabin sites.
So it really depends on what type of tiny house you are looking for and where you plan on building it.
However, some general guidelines will help you decide where is best suited for your tiny house:
- Pick an area with easy access to roads and utilities (water, electricity).
- Pick an area within an hour’s drive of cities where there is access to grocery stores, restaurants, schools/daycare centers, and other essentials.
- Pick an area with at least one large road that can be used for the tiny house (if you use a trailer, this road will need to be paved).
- Find an area that has enough space for the tiny house and everything you will need around it (space for cars, shed, etc.).
- Find an area within two hours of major cities with a good airport.